Electricity, Heat and a Hot Meal During a Disaster
Generators are always helpful in the event of a power outage, but they can be deadly. If you choose to use a generator, ALWAYS keep it outdoors. The carbon monoxide that a generator creates would be the equivalent to parking a running car in your living room. Carbon monoxide is a very poisonous gas that can wipe out a family in minutes. Of course you won’t notice it because you’ll get drowsy and go to sleep before it kills you. There are never any compromises when it comes to this rule: generators must stay outdoors.
Other items that are convenient to use during power outages are gas heaters, gas grills and camp stoves. Keep in mind that all of these items generate carbon monoxide gas. If you are going to use one of these items in your home, be sure that the room it is in is well ventilated. You may get a little rain or snow damage near open windows, but isn’t it worth you family’s safety?